‘Digital twins are now active on factory floors’
Published by : Industrial Automation
What are the leading trends in factory/process automation segment industry is likely to witness?
The following trends are likely to dominate in 2019:
• Use of PC-based Control will be on the rise as this technology is a cornerstone of IoT, Big Data, and Industry 4.0
• More MSMEs will implement Sophisticated Computerised Machine controls that enable Machine Learning, Vision, and Artificial Intelligence
• Remote Monitoring/Communication is likely to become more practised technology in the coming years
• New technologies in industrial automation will create new opportunities for manufacturers around the world
• Machine Learning will be more deployed bringing higher efficiencies in production, and
• Digital twins are now active on factory floors, analysing production efficiencies and prompting predictive maintenance. This will be implemented more by manufacturers.
What are the new products/developments expected from your company in 2019?
There are several new launches from Beckhoff for 2019:
• Beckhoff has launched the Gigabit speed Ethernet fieldbus communication technology with EtherCAT-G, EtherCAT-10G networks. EtherCAT technology remains unchanged but speed of communication has been enhanced for higher performance and data transfer bandwidth
• Beckhoff has included Image processing in its Software tool TwinCAT- Vision which makes it more comprehensive and more open. This will enable machine builders for any OEM to implement Vision based Control solutions
• Beckhoff has introduced Speech based Input and output for control systems. TwinCAT Speech
• Distributed Motion Control Technology is introduced by Beckhoff using advance techniques that reduces cabling footprint and cabinet size optimising cost
• Revolutionary Friction less Motion Control Technology for Automation in Product handling – X-Planer
• More powerful yet Compact Industrial PCs for simpler Automation tasks CX7000
• New range of Measurement Modules with higher accuracy using EtherCAT bus. ELM series IO, and
• Introducing EtherCAT and PC based Control to Process Automation industry with Intrinsic Safe I/Os and Industrial Panel PCs both ATEX Certified and IEC Ex certified. ELX and CPX series.
(This interview is part of a series on Digital Trends in 2019)